[Home][Scroll down to ALPHABETICAL INDEX for topics]


Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Bellinghausen messed up his Antarctica circumnavitation big time.


Every circumnavigation of Antarctica I read about seems to have a major glitch. Why is that?

What Bellinghausen wanted to do was very straightforward. It didn't work out that way. And he did not try again. And nobody followed up with a  "cleaner" version of his voyage.

What good is his mission now-- to my mission of proving the distance around the "bottom" of the world- the coast line of Antarctica? None. Oh, I'm sure I could work with the subtractions and additions, the adjustments and fine tune it... but by the time I've done all that, I've lost interest.

Why can't anyone simply sail around Antarctica in a straightforward verifiable way (for their era). The lack of a clear circumnavigation in history is not proof of a flat earth-- it only proves that there's a lack of proof.

Here is the route and the detour Bellinghausen took.


7 comments:

  1. Just completed reading all your entries. Fine effort and interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is no truth. wake up humanity.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is no truth. wake up humanity.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this glad I found your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean not educated in any further these fields but thought occurred to me that maybe the approximate size of the firmament by using a sexton for the highest and lowest stars....I don't know just thinking

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought about sextants or astronavigation-- although since we're looking at Bellinghausen here, maybe I should. Here's a brief description of a sextant... for readers...

    he Principle of the Sextant


    The optical principle used in a sextant is this: given that a ray of light is reflected from two mirrors in succession, then the angle between the first and last direction of the ray is twice the angle between the mirrors.

    This is the angle that is read off on the ‘arc’ after the navigator ‘shoots a star’ (takes an altitude).

    end of quote

    So altitude indeed has something to do with navigation using a sextant-- you might be onto something. I'll think more on this in coming weeks and post my results back in this thread. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm Captain Rick of the Virtual Circumference Voyage of Antarctica. I intend to prove definitively if Earth is flat or a sphere by paying careful attention to how many miles we cover as we travel "around" Antarctica. Flat earth theory says it's 50-60,000 miles. Spherical Earth theory says it 14,000 miles. Join me and ask any questions that you think would help our mission.