[Home][Scroll down to ALPHABETICAL INDEX for topics]


Friday, January 20, 2017

Rick Potvin launches effort to determine cirumference of Antarctica first hand.

On this day of Trump's inauguration, I've decided to visit all the Antarctic stations myself to determine the circumference of Antarctica. Trump's acceptance speech inspired me (after 1 1/2 High Life beers) to publicly publish my intention in this regard. I'm bolstered by Trump's hinting of a flat earth in previous statements that I've noted over the past year but did not really drill down into too far-- merely thinking of them as potentially interesting. Now that he is POTUS however, I think I'd like to finish the last half of that 2nd quart of beer and officially launch my project. There are, of course, a plethora of ancilliary issues associated with this audacious (possibly stupid) move but rather than waste a lot of qwerty typing power right now while inebriated, I'll simply hit the "publish" button and worry about it in the morning. I'll leave readers with this link to consider...
"donald trump" "flat earth" - Bing images

Incredible number of hits here
I'm getting incredible numbers of hits on this blog despite not really doing very much lately. The hits just happen because, I suppose, I've touched a nerve. And that is-- how can easily prove earth is spherical or flat once and for all using a trip around the supposed island of Antarctica in modern machines like airplanes, go-carts and surf boards-- well maybe not surf boards because its too cold-- say sail boats--- those high tech ones-- to see how far we have to go using a simple odometer built into every car.


4 comments:

  1. The suspicious Vendee Globe has just been won, Rick.... are you getting hits there?
    http://tracking2016.vendeeglobe.org/hp5ip0/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. race report - http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18245/the-vendee-globe-2016-17-how-the-race-was-won
      As they reached the remote Kerguelen Islands Le Cléac'h was within touching distance of Thomson, finally overhauling him on December 3. The occasion was marked by a visit from a French navy helicopter, which was able to film incredible images of the two boats blasting along at almost 30 knots. It was the first time racing yachts have ever been filmed so far south.
      Hmmm

      Delete
    2. No map on the website, either. Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll try to look at it further.

      I think a personally organized journey would have to use a cruise ship. Many cruises take place at different points around Antarctica so all I need to do is set up a marketing firm to sell a cruise around the entire island collecting pledges-- not even real money yet-- to show a cruise line who can then set up a real cruise. I think I might aim for the southern hemisphere summer of 2020 or have it be simultaneous with the next Vendee race. Not that we would see anyone in the race but rather that the two events occur in the same year for publicity's sake.

      Delete
  2. I am organising the same think Rick. Let's do it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm Captain Rick of the Virtual Circumference Voyage of Antarctica. I intend to prove definitively if Earth is flat or a sphere by paying careful attention to how many miles we cover as we travel "around" Antarctica. Flat earth theory says it's 50-60,000 miles. Spherical Earth theory says it 14,000 miles. Join me and ask any questions that you think would help our mission.