[Home][Scroll down to ALPHABETICAL INDEX for topics]


Sunday, May 15, 2016

1983 Antarctic Circumnavigation by POLAR STAR

I can't yet find any of the timing data on the 1983 Polar Star US Coast Guard 3/4 circumnavigation (they claim) but here's the map. I'll post more in coming days and weeks on this. You can find it in the index under Polar Star USCG expeditions - 1983.

Rick's comment-- The map is split on the left because I had to take copies from each side of an online image of a book.  I'll post sources later. Notice that in 1983, the Polar Star visited many stations and completely avoided the Unclaimed Area of Marie Byrd Land in the lower left. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rick

    Did you see this comment from DVid Weiss?
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1616560118663376&id=1449429422043114
    Cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting-- And notice how the comments on that page refer to the windsurfing, not the denial by the captain and crew. I'll try to follow up on this lead. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm Captain Rick of the Virtual Circumference Voyage of Antarctica. I intend to prove definitively if Earth is flat or a sphere by paying careful attention to how many miles we cover as we travel "around" Antarctica. Flat earth theory says it's 50-60,000 miles. Spherical Earth theory says it 14,000 miles. Join me and ask any questions that you think would help our mission.