[Home][Scroll down to ALPHABETICAL INDEX for topics]


Monday, May 9, 2016

Mertz Glacier approach is trecherous due to loss of compass.

Compasses fail as Aurora Australis nears Mertz glacier Compasses fail as Aurora Australis nears Mertz glacier, according to an ABC News report at  YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLtg4MXpcPM . Before viewing the vidio, please review my comments in advance so you know what to watch and listen for.

The first mate says "Gyrocompass replaces the magnetic compass as you approach Mertz / S. magnetic pole."[Rick's comment-- I haven't quite figured out how gyrocompass works but I think I know what a gyroSCOPE is. The gyro may be key to flat earth analysis as I've pointed out in other posts on this blog.]

 As the first mate attempts to explain magnetic lines of force to the female reporter, he fails to use a globe or even diagram to illustrate.


He then negates his explanation by saying  "Despite what I just said [about the magnetic compass being useless], we can use this magnetic compass repeater. It gives us a basic way of navigating north or south". [Rick's comment-- That reminds me of Scotty's dilithium crystal power on the Starship Enterprise: just make up any scientific lingo you want and it'll go over everyone's head.... a "magnetic compass repeater". Yup.]

 "Honestly [because I've been lying through my teeth], we'd rely on GPS [despite the gyrocompass and magnetic compass repeater]..."unrelated to magnetics, gyro... ANYTHING!". [Rick's comment: What? ...or more to the point... WTF?
   

NOW watch the video and pay attention to the shifty eyes of this first mate.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the explanation of how the star trek ship actually hit warp speed. Explanation goes over everyone's head, especially at the end there.

    Pretty funny we think we have a grasp on our planet when its a hard fact of life that we as a species have a hard time getting from point a to b, as this man so rightly states.

    Nice analysis man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's actually quite "smug", I'd say, about his ability to rely on GPS given that travel in Antarctica is dangerous and back up methods should always be employed as practise in case GPS goes down. I would also think that GPS and the ultimate source for all maps, the USGS I think-- would have to be involved in fudging all the data for flight times and distances to paint a picture of a sphere rather than a rim so both are unreliable. Flat earth researchers have to start thinking about how we measure and locate-- from first principles again-- using old fashioned methods not dependent on GPS. The latest circumnavigation by Fred Paulsen's Swiss ACE -- described in the past few posts here-- will have to be tracked in terms of times and locations that are verifiable. I don't know how they plan on doing it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I'm Captain Rick of the Virtual Circumference Voyage of Antarctica. I intend to prove definitively if Earth is flat or a sphere by paying careful attention to how many miles we cover as we travel "around" Antarctica. Flat earth theory says it's 50-60,000 miles. Spherical Earth theory says it 14,000 miles. Join me and ask any questions that you think would help our mission.